May 21st, 2013 at 11:40 am
Can you picture yourself here? You can do what these people are doing. They are volunteers serving at the North Texas Food Bank in Dallas. You can volunteer at any of the 19 food banks in Texas. They need you! Just contact them and sign up.
Requirements for volunteering (based on North Texas Food Bank information):
- Be able to lift small boxes and cans.
- Be able to stand and/or walk for 2 to 2 ½ hours with occasional breaks.
- Wear closed-toed shoes while on the warehouse floor.
- Wear reasonably modest but comfortable and cool clothing, as the warehouse is not air-conditioned.
- Be at least 16 years of age. (Volunteers ages 10-15 may volunteer if accompanied by an adult with a ratio of 1 adult for every 5-7 children.)
Find your Texas Food Bank here.
CENICERA, Honduras – The kids here in Honduras have stolen my heart! Last night we attended a worship service at a house church in Cenicera, just a few miles from Gracias. When we arrived, I recognized several of the kids from the day before when we were at their house interviewing their parents. Full Story »
CATULACA, Honduras – Felipe is paralyzed from the waist down after a tragic accident about five years ago. He has undergone eight surgeries and was forced to sell most of his land to pay for the medical procedures. He was the primary breadwinner for his family of six and now many times they wonder how they will eat. The family raises pigs for income and has many chickens roaming around the yard to provide sustenance. Full Story »
GRACIAS, Honduras – Today, we saw the Texas Baptist Hunger Offering in action, with three men carrying nearly 60 pounds of food on their backs, across a shaky wooden footbridge to a family in need. Full Story »