August 30th, 2013 at 2:03 pm
Eagle Pass is a South Texas city located on the Rio Grande border, linked via bridge to the Mexican city of Piedras Negras. In June, this community suffered a bought of extreme flooding. No deaths were reported, but many people had to be evacuated from their houses during the disaster. More than 300 homes were damaged or even destroyed, and two months after the disaster, this community is only beginning to recover.
What is Being Done?
- The Del Rio-Uvalde Baptist Association (DRUBA) is partnering with local churches to support the citizens of Eagle Pass as they continue to rebuild their city.
- On September 13-14, DRUBA and the churches of Eagle Pass will sponsor a weekend event called Igniting Passion, which will seek to minister to both the spiritual and physical needs of their community. This will be a time for fellowship, communal prayer, worship, and service. See full Igniting Passion schedule
- On the morning of September 14, Igniting Passion will start the day by forming a Prayer Link across the city’s International Bridge, which joins Eagle Pass with her sister city across the river, Piedras Negras. More than 350 participants will link hands across the full length of the bridge, covering the area in prayer for the community’s well-being, spiritual awakening, and continued physical healing.
- After the Prayer Link concludes, Igniting Passion will continue with a Block Party for the families affected by the flood, along with the rest of the community. Food, drinks, New Testaments, Gospel tracts, and a Christian concert will be provided.
- But most importantly, the Block Party will include the distribution of goods to the victims of the flood. Families who have lost their homes will able to come here to receive replacements for their lost belongings.
What Can I Do?
- You can volunteer to participate in Igniting Passion! Both the Prayer Link and the Block Party Distribution will need your help.
- You can donate goods for the Block Party Distribution! Goods such as furniture, bedding, appliances, dishes, clothes, chairs, tables, etc., will all be welcome.
- If you are interested in giving to or participating in Igniting Passion, contact one of these Eagle Pass church leaders:
- Felipe Garcia, Pastor, Iglesia Bautista Peniel – 830-968-4576 (cell)
- Felix Castillo, Pastor Primera Iglesia Bautista – 830-776-3211 (cell)
- Jeff W. Oliver, Pastor, First Baptist Church Eagle Pass – 830-313-8628 (cell)
- Alma Chaires, Iglesia Bautista Jerusalem – 830-776-1038 (cell)
- You can make a financial donation! Just go to www.texasbaptists.org/give, click “Disaster Recovery,” and give your gift.
- You can send a construction team to help rebuild the homes of Eagle Pass! Mark your calendars for Loving Eagle Pass, September 30 – October 5. Texas Baptist Disaster Recovery will be mobilizing teams to travel to Eagle Pass and help with reconstruction.
If you have any questions, or are interested in participating in Loving Eagle Pass, contact Marla Bearden, 214-828-5382 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Gerald Davis, 214-828-5392 or email@example.com at Texas Baptists Disaster Recovery.