by Linda Wear — June 17, 2013
It’s really getting close now! You don’t want to miss this. JULY 6-13 IS THE WEEK. Faith-based groups are beginning to reserve their times to volunteer. Will your church be one of them?
The once-a-year Full On Faith Week is time set aside by the North Texas Food Bank for faith-based groups to take over all their volunteer spots—and that is a lot of volunteers! The time slots on Saturdays fill up first. It’s even better if you have a group that can come on a weekday. Shifts are 9 a.m. to noon or 1 to 4 p.m. If your church is in one of the counties served by NTFB, then this is your opportunity! Sign up now if your church is in Collin, Dallas, Delta, Denton, Ellis, Fannin, Grayson, Hopkins, Hunt, Kaufman, Lamar, Navarro, or Rockwall counties. Go to www.ntfb.org and click on the volunteer tab.
Your volunteer hours can be credited to an NTFB-affiliated food pantry in your neighborhood. Just put the name of the pantry on the card when you sign in. Each hour provides $1.80 credit toward that pantry’s future purchase of food.
Just as a reminder, the requirements for volunteering are:
- Be able to lift small boxes and cans
- Be able to stand and/or walk for 2 to 2 1/2 hours with occasional breaks
- Wear closed-toed shoes while on the warehouse floor
- Wear reasonably modest but comfortable and cool clothing, as the warehouse is not air-conditioned
- Be at least 16 years of age. (Volunteers ages 10-15 may volunteer if accompanied by an adult with a ratio of 1 adult for every 5-7 children.)