DALLAS – The elected leaders of the Baptist General Convention and the BGCT Executive Board Dec. 14 nominated 15 people to serve on a committee to recommend a new leader for the convention.
The chairperson and vice chairperson of the executive board nominated seven members of the search committee, and BGCT elected officers nominated eight. The recommendations were sent electronically to the executive board for their approval Dec. 14.
The nominees for search committee members are:
- Ron Lyles, pastor of South Main Baptist Church in Pasadena and BGCT Executive Board member. He is nominated to serve as chairperson of the committee.
- Jerry Dailey, pastor of Macedonia Baptist Church in San Antonio and BGCT Executive Board member
- Charlotte Young, member of First Baptist Church in Dimmitt and BGCT Executive Board member
- Ernestine Haas, member of Park Cities Baptist Church in Dallas and BGCT Executive Board member
- Fred Roach, member of The Heights Baptist Church in Richardson and BGCT Executive Board member
- Jay Abernathy, pastor of First Baptist Church in Palestine and BGCT Executive Board member
- John Wheat, pastor of First Baptist Church in Kenedy and BGCT Executive Board member
- David Lowrie, pastor of First Baptist Church in El Paso
- Jesse Rincones, pastor of Alliance Baptist Church in Lubbock
- Charles Price, director of missions for San Antonio Baptist Association and member of First Baptist Church in San Antonio
- Gloria Mills, Texas WMU president and member of First Baptist Church in Henderson
- Frank Sanchez, member of the Cowboy Church of Ellis County in Waxahachie
- Frances Barrera, member of Crossroad Baptist Church in Plainview
- Jason Lee, pastor of Tallowood Chinese Baptist Church in Houston
- Michael Evans, pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Mansfield
Four people have been put forward as non-voting advisors to the committee:
- Jerry Bradley, president/CEO of Children at Heart Ministries in Round Rock
- Paul Armes, president of Wayland Baptist University in Plainview
- Bill Arnold , president of Texas Baptists Mission Foundation
- Joyce Ashcraft , regional ministry director for Texas Baptists’ Collegiate Ministry
In a letter to the executive board members that presented the nominations, BGCT Executive Board Chairperson Debbie Ferrier said the elected officers worked together to formulate the nominations, noting they sought Texas Baptists “who live their lives every day according to what the Scriptures teach” and “who affirm Hope 1:8 and who are living their lives every day reaching the world for Christ.”
Hope 1:8 is a convention campaign based on Acts 1:8 that seeks to encourage each Texas Baptist and each Texas Baptist church to share the hope of Christ locally, across the state and around the world.
“My request is that Texas Baptists will be mindful of the search committee and pray for them daily,” Ferrier said. “Pray for the staff and employees of the BGCT. Pray for the officers of the convention. Pray for the executive directors. Pray for our institutions and their leaders. Pray for the churches and pray for those who are still seeking the hope that only comes from Jesus Christ.”
On Dec. 13, the board electronically voted to empower “Steve Vernon, associate executive director, to assume all responsibilities and authority related to the role of executive director in the absence of an executive director.”
Vernon will take on that role following the departure of Executive Director Randel Everett, who will become pastor of First Baptist Church in Midland on Jan. 16. The board overwhelmingly approved the motion with only one member voting against it.