Hope 1:8 Missionaries
The Hope 1:8 Missionary Initiative is a new emphasis of Texas Baptists’ which is helping to bring missionaries into the urban areas of our state, nation and world.
The Fields are Ripe for Harvest
Have you watched the news or read a newspaper lately? You know the world around us is tough and getting tougher. People have all kinds of problems, addictions, pains, habits, and sins. They have a hard time breaking away from these terrible habits, and the only hope for them is a relationship with Jesus Christ.
Did you know that 86% of the population of Texas lives in an area that we consider urban?
Benefits of Being a Hope 1:8 Missionary
- Access to exclusive training through the office of Missions Mobilization of the BGCT.
- Access to archived training programs of the BGCT.
- Being prayed for: not only will we encourage and train you to raise up your own prayer team, you will also be featured yearly, if not more often, in our bi-monthly prayer email to all of the prayer warriors.
- Daily access and regular contact with the Director of Urban Missions, who is a seasoned pastor who has successfully worked in an urban setting for several years.
- Ability to raise support through the BGCT, your sending church, or the ministry you are working in.
- Training in raising support so that you can be on mission.
Click here for a full list of Hope 1:8 Missionary Opportunities.
Urban areas are growing. They are growing faster than any other area in our world. People in urban areas desperately need Jesus in their lives. Maybe you feel called to go as part of a volunteer impact team that works in an urban area once or twice a week. Maybe you want to have an urban weekend or a week-long experience working alongside, learning from, worshiping with and having fellowship with an urban church. Or maybe you want to move to a new level and work full-time or part-time as a volunteer or self-supported missionary in one of the urban areas of our state. Ways to work in urban areas include:
- church revitalization opportunities
- helping to strengthen those churches who have made the commitment to stay in a tough place
- church-starting opportunities
- youth, children and adults
- and many other ministry opportunities.
Please contact us about ways that we can facilitate this in your church and in your life or ideas for a ministry or a particular calling you may have.
Become a part of the prayer team for urban ministry in the state of Texas. A bi-monthly email will be sent with the specific prayer requests of missionaries, and specifically praying for areas where missionaries are needed. Also, please call to receive your prayer magnet for urban missions to be placed on the refrigerator (or other prominent place) as one of our prayer partners.
Would you like to support a specific area in the urban center? Your financial gifts, whatever the amount, will go directly to supporting a missionary on the field and you will receive regular reports from these missionaries with prayer requests and what is happening in these areas of ministry. You will know that your dollars are going directly to these urban ministries. You have the option of sending your funds through the Urban Missions office of the Baptist General Convention of Texas or directly to the church ministry that is working with the missionary. Keep in mind that the facilitation of this program is made possible by your gifts to the Baptist General Convention of Texas.
Ryan Jespersen’s blog, You are the Missionary, can be found here. Be sure to check in for exciting new posts about mission centered living. http://texasbaptists.org/category/you-are-the-missionary