Welcome to the Texas Baptists Discipleship page!
Christians are to be disciples and make disciples, and Texas Baptists want to do both well. The opportunities on this page are intended to help church leaders with relationships and resources to enhance the discipleship process. Please call or email for more information.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing… This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”
– John 15:5-8
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”
– Galatians 5:22-23a
- Beliefs Important to Baptists
- Handbook for Baptists: What Every Baptist (New or Longtime) Should Know
- Baptists Belief and Heritage Studies
Texas Baptist Educators Retreat
April 20-22, 2015
T Bar M Resort
New Braunfels, TX
An annual spring retreat and a fall fellowship dinner are cornerstone events for an informal network of church staff with responsibilities for Christian education and discipleship in churches across the state. Several regional groups also meet periodically for fellowship and encouragement. Learn more…
Bible Drill & Speakers’ Tournament
Children’s Bible Drill (4th-6th graders), Youth Bible Drill (7th-9th graders) and High School Bible Drill (10th-12th graders) equips children and youth with God’s word through Bible skills and memorization of key passages. The drills themselves give participants an opportunity to demonstrate what they have learned. Youth Speakers’ Tournament (1st-12th grades) challenges youth to grow in discipleship through writing and delivering a 4-6 minute speech. Learn more…
Christian Education Certification
The goal of the Texas Baptist Christian Education Certification is to help pastors, staff and lay leaders develop a practical plan for making disciples through Christian education in their church.
Participants will gain practical tools for leading Christian education, but will also be challenged to explore the “why’s” behind the “how-to’s.” Those who complete the 4-session Basic Certification will:
- Understand what the Bible says about Christian education and survey its historical development
- Design a Christian education ministry to be healthy and growing in its context
- Develop a curriculum plan based on faith development
- Learn skills in teaching for transformation
- Explore biblical servant leadership as a model for helping a Christian education ministry reach its potential
- Session 1 – Strong Foundations, Clear Vision
- From D6 to the Cave and Back Again (Defining/outlining CE)
- Do You See What I See? (Importance of clear vision)
- Session 2 – Building Blocks of Christian Education
- Ministry Design
- The Place of Sunday School/Small Groups
- Race Course Overview, Part 1 (Curriculum)
- Session 3 – Change from the Inside Out
- Race Course Overview, Part 2
- Teaching for Transformation
- Session 4 – Biblical Leadership
Advanced Certification is the second half of the Christian Education Certification, and consists of 4 additional sessions. Participants will:
- Consider cultural and generational influences on ministry processes
- Design a leadership development plan for their church
- Discover ways to lead through change
- Learn principles for leading groups and teams in the church
The Christian Education Certification will usually be scheduled in coordination with a Director of Missions for an association/area/network. Generally, seminars take place once a month for four months. Seminars are three hours each, with reading or project assignments between sessions. Assignments are not heavy, but are important in order to gain the most from seminar times together. Attendance at all seminars is required for certification. To schedule in your area or for more information, contact David Adams.
Basic and Advanced Certification are $50 each per participant, which includes materials. A church or association may choose to help with this cost in order to encourage leadership development.
Join our Mailing List
Enter your e-mail address below to join our mailing list and have updates sent directly to your inbox.