The Hispanic Baptist Convention of Texas Annual Meeting was held June 26-28 at Park Cities Baptist Church in Dallas. Here are some highlights from the gathering:
- Congratulations to the newly elected officers of Convención Bautista Hispana of Texas: President Rolando Aguirre (of McAllen), 1st Vice President Vincent Gonzales (of Dallas), 2nd Vice President Ruben Burguete (of Caldwell) and Secretary Carmen Gaytan (of McAllen).
- Sunday night worship service attendance was 1,900, including youth and children.
- The annual sermon preached by Dr. Alfonso Flores titled, "Onward Christian Soldiers."
- East Texas Baptist University awarded four scholarships to Hispanic students, totaling $160,000 (plus room and board).
- Dallas Baptist University awarded two scholarships to Hispanic students, totaling $100,000 (plus room and board).
- The Dr. Gary Cook Servant Leadership Award presented to Dr. Micaela Camacho in memory of her husband, Dr. Rudy Camacho; and Beatrice Mesquias, HBCT president from 2003-2006.
- For the first time in the history of Convencion, a budget over $100,000 was approved, including funding for a new Staff Internship position; new funding for Long Range Planning Project with the Office of Hispanic Ministries; $15,000 allotted for help with Annual Meeting costs; and additional funding for ministry to churches, Hispanic Fellowships, regional events, etc.
- Twenty $1,000 Hispanic Education Initiative/Convencion scholarships were awarded.
- Dr. David Hardage, Texas Baptists executive director, served as the main speaker for the Ministers and Wives Conference.
- Top four Cooperative Program Giving Hispanic churches were recognized including: Northside Community Church in San Antonio, Stonegate Baptist Church in Alice, Iglesia Bautista Getsemani in Fort Worth and Iglesia Bautista Vida Nueva de Katy.
- Overall workshop attendance was over 700 attendees.
- An interview with Dr. Albert Reyes, president and CEO of Buckner International, was conducted and his book "The Jesus Agenda" ("La Agenda de Jesus") was widely distributed in Spanish to pastors and leaders.
* Story was updated on 7/11/16