Texas Baptist Historical Collection
Collecting, preserving and communicating the history of Texas Baptists by working with churches, institutions and associations provides a better look at where we’ve been, where we are and where we are going.
The Texas Baptist Historical Collection exists to collect, preserve, and communicate the history of Baptists in Texas and to assist institutions, associations, churches, and individuals in understanding the impact that historical events have had on their past, present, and future.
On March 7, 1933, the Executive Board of the Baptist General Convention of Texas formed a committee to examine historical work in the state and recommend to the BGCT ways to foster” the preservation of the source material of Texas Baptist history.” In September of that year the committee made its report to the convention. As a result, a permanent committee on Texas Baptist history was created. This Texas Baptist Historical Committee was responsible for collecting and preserving materials related to Texas Baptist history.
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, originally a BGCT institution, offered the Texas Baptist Historical Committee storage space for their collected material. Soon afterward, Southwestern Seminary became the official depository for the BGCT. L. R. Elliott, head librarian of Southwestern at that time, was named corresponding secretary for the Historical Committee and soon began criss-crossing the state to collect material under the authority of the BGCT.
With the shared support of Southwestern and the BGCT, through the years, the Texas Baptist Historical Collection quickly grew and became a valuable resource on Texas Baptist history. In 1998 as the Collection and its work continued to grow, it was moved to the Baptist Building in Dallas, in an effort to better serve Texas Baptists. Today the Collection answers over 400 requests annually from churches in Texas and individuals from around the world.