What is Bible Drill/Speakers’ Tournament 2.0?
A discipleship ministry for children and students to internalize the magnitude of God’s love through scripture memory, Bible skills, and speech preparation, all to respond to life’s situations and strengthen their faith in Christ.
The purpose of Bible Drill 2.0 is to begin to develop memory skills; skills that will teach students to effectively handle the Bible, increase the student’s knowledge of the Bible, and learn how to apply the meaning of the passages to their lives.
If participation in Bible Drill/Speakers’ Tournament is just for scripture memory—we lose. If we learn scripture without meaning—we lose. If we compete just to win—we lose. We win when we make the scriptures personal, when we are changed and can apply the meaning of scriptures to our lives.
This is a team of people from all over Texas who love Bible Drill/Speakers’ Tournament and who desire to see it grow. They are the new backbone of Bible Drill/Speaker’s Tournament. If you have any questions, please contact the Coordinating Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on Church and Associational Drills, please contact your church and/or association.
How do I begin?
Need a little help understanding how a drill should run? Click below for our training video.
CSB, KJV, and NIV Verses are available. Click below to download.
Click below for the Bible versions allowed for 2018-2019.
Youth Speakers’ Tournament
Speakers’ Tournament Written Speech
New Updated Guidelines
Beginning in 2019, each speaker’s written manuscript will be evaluated before the competition for content, form, and grammar. The written speech score will be included in the final score.
Manuscripts of the speeches must use the MLA format and must include either in-text citations or endnotes. Each speech must also include a works-cited page. For more information about MLA formatting and style, please reference the Dallas Baptist University Writing Center MLA Packet, available here.
Manuscripts should be emailed on the Monday preceding the regional drill and speaker’s tournament weekend to be scored before the tournament.
If a speaker continues to the State Drill, that speech will be kept and scored before the state drill. Scores will be included in the final count.
The scoring will be as following:
- Manuscript/Written Composition 20%
- Content 40%
- Delivery 40%
Topics – Blue Cycle
- The Bible: God's Gift to Us
- Healthy Choices Honor God
- God Is in Control
- Just Trust
- School: My Mission Field
- Change Can Be Positive
- Why I Believe What I Believe
- Is Church Really Important?
- Words Can Destroy
- Living a Lifestyle of Consistency
- Stepping Out in Faith
- Why I Exist
- March 17: Suggested Church Drill
- March 24: Suggested Association Drill
- March 24-26: Registration open for State (children) and Regional (youth/high school/speakers) events
- April 5-6: State (ch)/Regional (y/hs) Texas Baptists Bible Drill & Speakers' Tournament (FBC Midland, 2104 W Louisiana, Midland)
- April 12-13: State (ch)/Regional (y/hs) Texas Baptists Bible Drill & Speakers' Tournament (Tallowood Baptist Church, 555 Tallowood, Houston)
- April 21: Easter
- April 26-27: State (ch)/Regional (y/hs) Texas Baptists Bible Drill & Speakers' Tournament (FBC Irving, 403 S Main St, Irving)
- May 4: State Bible Drill and Speakers' Tournament (youth/high school) (FBC Allen, 201 E McDermott Dr, Allen)
State (CH)/Regional (YT/HS) BGCT Drills /Speakers’ Tournament
- 5:00 pm – Registration opens
- 6:00 pm – Competition begins
- 9:00 pm – Friday evening awards session
- 8:00 am – Registration opens
- 8:30 am – Competition begins
- 11:30 am – Saturday awards session
Four of our Texas Baptist Universities will offer scholarships to the winners of Bible Drill and Speakers Tournament. These scholarships are offered by the universities themselves, so contact will be made directly to them.